Chief Commercial Officer, ACT
The first CCO was hired in 1999 at Texas Power and Light.
ACT is an independent, not-for-profit organization that provides a broad array of assessment, research, information, and program management solutions in the areas of education and workforce development. Each year, ACT serves millions of people in high schools, colleges, professional associations, businesses, and government agencies—nationally and internationally.
Learn more at act.org.
The Chief Commercial Officer (CCO) is responsible to drive development and execution of our global commercialization strategy. This role will create enterprise customer strategy at the highest levels to maximize customer acquisition, retention, and profitability.
The CCO, working closely with the Chief Measurement Officer (CMO), will be responsible to build and monitor business cases, introduce major new programs including formative assessment, learning analytics, ACT products, and revitalization of test development. The CCO will take a global perspective on market opportunities and lead in the assessment and prioritization of geographic as well as industry market segments. The CCO will bring to ACT an active external view, and will provide the ultimate lens on market developments, trends, and disruptions in the industry. We believe this is a unique opportunity in our industry. It will require an experienced individual with deep business acumen, entrepreneurship, and a profitability and results orientation. This position will be a member of the senior management team, reporting directly to the CEO.
The goals of the CCO are to:
- Reinvent existing business models to adapt to modern web-based services
- Engage the organization in managing customer relationships, revenue, and profit
- Create a persistent focus on the customer in the actions the company takes
- Drive the organization to work together for optimum customer experience delivery
- Support leaders in their role as cultural leaders in the transformation journey
Key outcomes will include:
Establishing and refining metrics for defining the relationship with customers both financially and qualitatively
- Simple metrics to manage customers as an asset
- Voice of the Customer competency development
- Real-time issue trending and tracking (such as complaints)
- Corralling all the surveys and uniting a company-wide approach
- Optimizing for “listening” pipe opportunities, web, social media, field, etc.
- Create a united platform for understanding and taking action
Influencing cross-company agreement on how to deliver greatest value to customers
- Define what customers value – how to determine the differentiating experience to be delivered
- Decide where to make investment decisions, that is, the highest-impact contacts and efforts
- Create a common language set and definitions for the customer experience
In partnership with leaders, driving accountability through cross-company data and metrics
- Facilitate the development of the accountability action chain, establishing the approaches and implementation of research to understand customer loyalty and return on investment (ROI)
- Work with leaders to identify baseline metrics for tracking interaction with customers
- Drive tracking and reporting to get to reliability in key interactions
- Lead the accountability forums – when to meet with whom to drive accountability
- Work with leaders on messages, reinforcing, recommendations for recognition, and driving the culture change forward
Clarifying a common approach and process for driving the work across the organization
- Identify operational accountability cross-functional alliances
- Facilitate working together across the silos instead of separately within them
- Instill the discipline of process change and change management into the organization
- Deliver strategic leadership for defining the commercial path to growth and profitability of the company and the establishment
of an effective growth process and infrastructure
- Develop collaborative working relationships within the organization in pursuit of the of the company’s overall business goals
- Lead development of the company’s marketing, brand, and product strategy with an emphasis on achieving market penetration
and sales growth with a particular emphasis on cost-effective customer acquisition, retention and market demand generation
- Develop and implement the company’s sales strategy across key market segments to ensure that the company identifies and optimizes a clear path to aggressive growth
- Identify and lead sales channels to meet and exceed revenue targets
- Assess, build and manage an array of necessary channels capable of delivering on the company’s growth objectives
- Develop a strategy and provide leadership for enterprise-wide business development opportunities
- Originate and manage business development opportunities that are consistent with the company’s strategy for revenue growth
- Bachelor’s degree in a related area required; master’s degree or MBA preferred
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
- A minimum of 10 years of progressive management responsibility with 7+ years in a senior level leadership position
- Experience in education, career solutions, and/or workforce readiness industry sectors
- Wide experience in organizational functions including deep business and financial acumen
- Experience in all facets of selling lifecycle including business development, sales, marketing, product management, and channel development
Starting salary commensurate with qualifications. Excellent benefits and work environment.
This position will be located at ACT, Inc. headquarters in Iowa City, Iowa.
Completion of the ACT National Career Readiness Certificate is recommended. Find a testing site near you to register for the WorkKeys assessments.
Finalists for this position will be subject to a pre-employment criminal background check as a condition of employment.
Teri Pendland firstname.lastname@example.org 319-337-1685
ACT is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran
status, or any other characteristic protected by law. ACT values diversity in people and ideas and participates in E-verify.
ACT's online position announcements are intended only to provide general descriptions of employment opportunities; none of the
information provided for any position should be interpreted as a commitment by ACT to specific terms and conditions for employment.